This was kind of a long week, eh? The groggy, sleep deprived aftermath of last weekend’s most excellent festivities kinda left me dragging. If I didn’t know it before, I definitely do now.
This homegirl needs her sleep.
For me, 7.5 – 8.5 hours usually does the trick, and with marathon training continuing to ramp up until mid-October, I may need to add even more zzz’s to my nightly routine.
There are tons of studies and information out there about how important getting enough sleep is, and this is so especially important when you’re marathon training and pushing your body to the max. Quality sleep is essential to help your body repair itself from tough workouts and get ready for the next ones.
Research aside, I can definitely tell when I haven’t gotten enough sleep through my runs – they’re always a bit more of a struggle. Not to mention the fact that the cranky bey-otch in me gets unleashed with sleep deprivation. 🙂
But I digress.
Because I much prefer to run in the early morning hours, this often requires a bedtime earlier than both of my grandmothers (and great-grandmother). Here are some of the things I do in order to hit the 7-8 hour mark on most nights.
- Count backwards from the time I want to wake up and set a bedtime goal (and stick to it!)
- DVR any and all TV shows that start later – I never watch anything when it’s actually on!
- No caffeine in the afternoons – this can keep me up sometimes. Tea is a good alternative!
- Eat dinner somewhat early-ish to allow time for digestion (and a snack!) before hitting the hay
- Unplug from all technology and read quietly for 10-30 minutes – this really helps me relax and wind down
- Put a fan on for some white noise (my sister got me into this)
- Don’t stress if I get one crappy night’s sleep – it happens!
After ~7.75 miles today (thanks for the company, Megan! 🙂 ), 17 miles tomorrow and 5-ish planned for Sunday, I will for sure be making sleep a priority!
Another thing right up there with sleep when it comes to marathon training – carbs! (mmm, carbs). I’m kind of on a sprouted grain kick, and after learning how much I heart sprouted grain bread, bought a package of Ezekiel sprouted grain tortillas.
Ingredients: Organic Sprouted Whole Wheat, Filtered Water, Organic Unhulled Sesame Seeds, Organic Sprouted Whole Soybeans, Organic Sprouted Whole Barley, Organic Sprouted Whole Millet, Organic Sprouted Whole Lentils, Organic Sprouted Whole Spelt, Sea Salt.
I used these to make a few hummus wraps with greens, plum tomatoes and cucumber (with some bell peppers and carrots on the side). SO good! I love the grainy, crunchy texture.
*Quick note to fellow bloggers – my sister’s blog, Kickette, has been nominated for a Cosmo UK Blog Award in the Celebrity category. It’s a great blog if you want to check it out, and vote for them here.
That’s all I got – happy Friday!
Question: Do you get enough sleep? Is there anything you do to make sure you get your zzzz’s?