Dear life: Welcome back. I’ve missed you so. xoxo, Kelly
Last night I took my last exam of the fall semester, and as soon as I handed over my biochemistry answer sheets and walked out onto West 4th street, a huge wooosh of relief washed over me.
I’m also on vacation from work until after the New Year, and for once I didn’t have to rush off anywhere, juggle two Blackberries and check e-mails, study or finish writing papers. Heck, I didn’t even have to think if I didn’t want to!
And it felt freaking fantastic (ok, besides the fact that I’ll stress about my grades until they’re posted).
So I meandered over to Washington Square Park to enjoy the holidays for the first time.
As I sit here typing this morning, it feels so weird to not have to really do anything, even though I’ve already started my day with 7.5 tempo miles in Central Park.
- Mile 1: 9:12
- Mile 2: 8:19
- Mile 3: 7:44
- Mile 4: 7:40
- Mile 5: 7:54
- Mile 6: 8:41
- Mile 7: 8:32
- Mile 0.5: 8:20
An 8:18/mile average pace and I felt great – the best way to start the day hands down.
I was starving when I got home, and fueled up with Barbara’s Shredded Oats and Spoonfulls, cinnamon, blueberries and almond milk
And some decaf coffee
Since I’m heading to Buffalo tomorrow to visit the fam for the holidays, I want to make the most of today (ehm, and finish holiday shopping, doh!). So of course I’ve made a to-do list.
- Manicure/pedicure (for the first time in far too long. Hey, I deserve it, right??)
- Union Square holiday shops for some
last minuteunique holiday gifts
- Barnes and Noble – homegirl hasn’t read an actual book in weeks (I’m usually a book per week kind of gal!)
- Bikram yoga to relax before a busy travel day (flying stresses me out like whoa)
- Packing and attempting to fit a week’s worth of clothes in a small carry-on. The key: tights and leggings. I may not actually bring any real pants.
I can’t believe it’s almost Christmas – I feel like I’ve been in a cave for the past month. Clearly I must make up for lost time!
And I also must answer these questions that Shelby tagged me on:
1. Vacation: beach or mountains? Beach with mountains (OOHH, the best of both worlds!)
2. Luggage: check it or carry it on? See above. I carry that sh*t on because I am always overly paranoid my luggage will be lost. Or stolen. Or sent to the moon. Yes, even on a one hour direct flight.
3. Bed: make it or leave it a rumpled comfy mess? Make it as soon as I get up. Way too much of a neat freak.
4. Races: smaller or bigger? Big races always seem more exciting!
5. Toilet paper roll: over or under? Under all the way!
6. Pancakes: thick and fluffy or thin and crepe-like? As thick as possible. With blueberries.
7. Alarm: get up or hit snooze? I haven’t hit the snooze in about 10 years.
I know I’m going to have a great day, and I hope you do too!
Coming up on the blog: holiday indulging, yea or nay? More superfoods and tales of long runs in snow, windchills and whatever else Buffalo decides to throw at me for the next week!
Question: What’s your favorite thing to do when you have a day all to yourself?
Bonus: Feel free to answer the Q’s above if you so desire!