Merry Christmas Eve!
I don’t know about you, but one of the things I look forward to most during the holidays, besides seeing friends and family of course, is cookies.
Cookies of all kinds, homemade by one of my grandmas.
My personal favorite – the Christmas tree cutout
Nothing compares to these delicious morsels, I tell you.
In the past week, I’ve seen, read and heard no less than 15 news items about how not to gain holiday weight, avoid party food, heavy meals and sweets.
Now that doesn’t sound like much fun, does it?
I firmly put myself into the “yea” category in terms of holiday indulging, because if you can’t indulge in your favorite treats at Christmas, when can you?
When I know I’ll be indulging in delicious cookies, pies, party buffets and home cooked meals, I just modify the rest of my diet accordingly. Here are some tips that help me navigate some fun holiday eating:
- If you know you have a big family dinner ahead, make breakfast and lunch count. Fill up on fruits and veggies – the high water and fiber content of fruits and veggies will help fill you up without tacking on a lot of calories. Just make sure you leave room for the main meal!
Here’s what I had for lunch today before a big Christmas Eve dinner tonight – warmed apple, cinnamon, walnuts over Greek yogurt.
- But sometimes a girl just wants to eat cookies for lunch. And that’s ok! I just eat them with a little fruit and maybe some yogurt, like my dish above. Well balanced, yeah?
- Of course, there’s nothing better than an early morning run to work up an appetite and burn some calories before a holiday full of treats! This morning I enjoyed 10 windy, cold miles along the Niagara River and Erie Canal.
- Listen to your tummy – when it tells you it’s full, it is. Sometimes we tend to overdo it just because there are so many food choices during the holidays AND WE HAVE TO TRY THEM ALL. But trust me, they’re not going anywhere. And leftovers are just as delicious.
- I’m not much of a drinker, so while I totally get the need for a little bubbly here and there, I definitely prefer an extra cookie or two over a sugary, high calorie cocktail. Club soda mixed with vodka and a little lime juice is my lower calorie go-to if I’m feelin’ the need to celebrate.
So there you have it. I’m going to indulge myself with some more cookies now.
Question: How do you indulge during the holidays? Yea or nay?